Saturday, March 28, 2009

Reason #24: Banana Chocolate Shake & Level 2 of Shred

I have been on a real smoothie kick lately, and I think I came across a real winner yesterday. My newest creation tastes very good, and it could easily qualify as a "heavenly milkshake" over a morning health boost. The base is merely 1 cup of Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk, 1 banana, and ice. Those three simple ingredients alone are delicious, however here are some great add-in options:

Banana Chocolate Shake:
1 cup of Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk + 1 Medium Banana + Ice

For those interested in nutritional facts, the shake is 145 calories, 4 g of fiber, and 3 g of protein and also provides >20% of Daily Recommended Values in Calcium, Vitamin B6, Vitmain D, and Vitamin E.

Banana Mocha Shake:
1 cup of Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk + 1 Banana + Ice + 1/2 cup of Coffee

This shake provides an extra jolt to get you going in the morning. Also, a convenient usage for leftover cold coffee.

PB and Banana Shake:
1 cup of Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk + 1 Banana + Ice + 1 tbsp peanut butter + 1/4 oats

Extra protein and extra decadence with a thicker consistency

Healthy Decadence Shake:
1 cup of Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk + 1 Banana + Ice + 1 tbsp peanut butter + 1 cup of spinach + flaxseed

Adds extra nutrients while still maintaing a great taste.

DAY TWO: 30 Day Shred

Yesterday I tried out Level 2 of the Shred workout video which was of higher intensity than Level 1. There is a strong focus on plyometrics such as lateral skating, double jump ropes, and jump squats. Additionally, the upper body gets a killer workout with plank based movements and walking out push ups. For twenty minutes I had my heart rate up, I was sweating and breathing heavy, and then I was done.

I highly recommend this workout video for the following reasons:
- It is twenty minutes of high intensity
- Works on your strength, abs, and cardio
- You can easily incorporate this into your morning, lunch, or night routine
- You feel you get the best possible workout in the shortest amount of time
- You can increase the intensity by a) going to a higher level or b) using more weight

In college, we weight lifted all of the time for soccer. Not only was it at 6:30am(which is VERY early for a college kid), but we lifted ridiculous amounts of weight. I DREADED lifting more than anything, and I had sworn never to pick up a dumbbell or bar again after my soccer career ended. Okay so maybe I was a bit dramatic, but Jillian's workout has encouraged me to begin and enjoy strength training again. Strength training and mixing up your workout routine is too important to swear off!

* For further clarification, I complete the Shred in addition to my daily half marathon training. However, the shred replaces my usual past attempts of lifting and abs.

3 comments:

  1. I am fine with Level 1... but I have to say, I DESPISE Level 2! I will continue to do both though, but it is hard because there's just not enough space to really do Level 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, those shakes sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shake ideas! I actually have a box of the same almond milk so your post is timely, as I'm about to crack it open very soon.

    The Shred is definitely one of my fave DVDs! Level 3 is truly evil, but nothing beats the sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete