Sunday, March 1, 2009

Reason #9: Eggplant in Spicy Tomato Sauce

I love fresh produce, and I am constantly trying to incorporate new vegetables into my cooking. I came across eggplant at the supermarket for just 99 cents a pound, so I picked one up and decided to experiment. I came across the below "Eggplant in Spicy Tomato Sauce" recipe from We've Always Had Paris...and Provence by Patricia and Walter Wells. I made this dinner for my boyfriend and I on Saturday night with some spaghetti, and we both licked our plates clean. It is so easy (though it takes about an hour to prepare) and is very healthy! I highly recommend!

I was going to post a picture, but we both had a 7 mile workout and were too ravenous to wait for my camera to charge!

Eggplant in Spicy Tomato Sauce
- serves 8 - (I cut the recipe in half)

Ingredients
2 large, firm, fresh eggplant, washed but not peeled (about 2 lbs. total)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
2 onions, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons thin slivers fresh ginger
6 plump garlic cloves, peeled, halved, green germ removed
1 small fresh chile pepper, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon ground dried cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups chicken stock

Procedure
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.

2. Halve the eggplants lengthwise. Brush the flesh lightly with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt. Place the eggplant halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Place on a rack in the center of the oven and bake until soft and golden, about 30 minutes. After removing the eggplant halves from the oven, cut them in half again.

3. While the eggplant cooks, prepare the sauce: In a large deep frying pan, combine the onion, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and about 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Toss to thoroughly coat the onions with the oil and cook, covered, over low heat until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, chile, and cumin and toss again to evenly coat the onions with the spices. Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes. Add the roasted eggplant halves, burying them in the sauce. Cook until the eggplant is very tender and has absorbed the sauce, about 20 minutes more.

4. Serve over spaghetti and pair with a red wine (we had Cabarnet Sauvignon) - delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Love your blog! Definitely hope we both get into the NYC Marathon!!! I also think i'm running the half in May (through road runners?) I need to decide...ahhh!! Can't wait to read about your running/adventures!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome. Reading it made me hungry. I am going to make this on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete