Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reason #18: Soccer, Granola Bars, & the Apprentice

I have played soccer for 67% of my life. From age five to twenty-one years old,I have been kicking, sprinting, heading, and running up and down the field. So of course when the opportunity arose to join a team at the age of 24, I jumped on it. Could I possibly have lost all my finesse in three years? Well, my co-ed team ended up winning 2-1, and one guy on my team even commented "you played really well for a girl" (wtf?). Aside from almost puking three times, I felt great, refreshed, and wondered why I had stopped playing at all. However, this morning was KILLER. I now have a blood blister that has taken over my whole big toe, my legs feel like jello, and muscles that I did not even know I had ache. My body was definitely not feeling the "8-9 Mile Long Run" scheduled, but I bucked up and did it anyway. Thank goodness for a little push from Rihanna, TI, Britney, and Kings of Leon, and my Boyfriend running infront of me.

Anyway, for some fuel, I decided to make some homemade granola bars! I have been wanting to make these forever, and I finally got all of the ingredients. I loved them and was told by a fellow tastetester that they taste, "very gillian-y." Not sure what that means, but Ill take it as a compliment.

Anyway here is the recipe (modified from Kath Eat's "Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars":

Ingredients

1.5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds
3/4 cup dried fruit (I used 1/2 cup cranberries, 1/4 cup raisins)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
1.25 cups almond milk
1/4 cup of egg substitute
1 tsp vanilla

Method:

Preheat oven to 350*
Mix dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients.
Pour wet into dry. Stir to combine.
Pour into a 9×9 baking dish either coated in cooking spray.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Cut into 9 squares.
Makes 9 servings . Each bar is appx. 165 calories, 3 grams fiber and 5 grams protein.

I will definitely make these again next time possibly adding some dark chocolate chips, dried bananas, and possibly peanut butter or pumpkin next time???

I have really enjoyed my new cooking routine, and I recently sent five of my favorite recipes to Abbie at Foods That Fit. She is creating an e-cookbook with healthy recipes from fellow bloggers. I cant wait for it!

** On Another Note: My sister will be making an appearance on "The Apprentice" tonight. Check out for the blonde trying on wedding dresses for Joan and Melissa Rivers. Eek, Im excited for her!

* One Million Gillian Reasons to Live Well *

3 comments:

  1. How exciting for your sister! I'll keep my eyes out for her!

    Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your granola bars. I think peanut butter would be a good addition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gill! Love the post. I went to your girlfriend Abbey's site... BTW she's moved so you may want to update your link. I made her Zucchini Fettucini... it was unbelievable.

    PEACE- red :)

    ReplyDelete