Saturday, February 21, 2009

Reason #2: Newest Fitness Craze: Crossfit!

A new craze seems to be sweeping over the Tri-State - Crossfit! (crossfit.com) Crossfit gyms seem to be popping up all over the towns and stunning transformations are occurring (primarily in men).

Originated in 2001, Crossfit is a high intensity workout that mixes gymnastics, track and field skills and bodybuilding, resting very little between movements. The importance is placed on quantifiable results, thereby creating a competition against others time or your own personal bests. People who like to push the limits of fitness and strength consider it the most challenging workout around.

Interested?
Beginner Workout: 20 minutes of as many repetitions as you can of 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats.

For more Advanced Workouts see crossfit.com

CROSSFIT DIET

What should I Eat?

Base your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch and sugar.

*Tip* Keep your grocery cart to the perimeter of the grocery store while avoiding the middle aisles. Food is perishable! The stuff with long shelf life is all suspect.

What should I avoid?

High glycemic carbs that raise blood sugar too rapidly. Including rice, bread, candy, potato, sweets, sodas, and most processed carbs.

Try to follow Zone Diet

30% Protein
40% Carbs
30% Fats

My Review

I have only completed the Crossfit Warmup so far, but I plan to take my first class next weekend. I am a bit weary on the program because a) sounds like injury can happen very easily, b) I will be tested on how many pull-ups I can do (ughhh, can I even do one?), and c) I despise heavy lifting (I have terrible memories of lifting at 6:30am in college for soccer!) . However, on the other hand, numerous people (including the most fit men I know of) swear by Crossfit. It will be a nice change from my favorite activities of running, spinning, and kickboxing. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment