Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Reason #68: Kept out of the "Loop"

I was sitting on the bus this morning, minding my own business, when I noticed the businessman sitting across from me bend down to tie his shoe. He took the brown laces of his Cole Haan leather shoes, pulled them tight, and delicately started to make two "bunny ear" loops. Could it be, I thought, he ties his shoes the same way I do!

For years, I thought I tied my shoes the inferior way. Growing up, I never could do the "proper" one-loop wrap correctly, so for the past 20 years I resorted to the juvenile, five-year old method. After years of being made fun of for lacing up my muddy soccer cleats with bunny ears (cruel world!), I was a bit self-conscious about my public shoe tying method. I was overcome with glee and excitement as I watched this older, mature man carefully make the two loops. I wanted to shout across the bus, "Hey Sir! I tie my shoes using the 'bunny ear' method as well!" Followed by perhaps a high-five? A wink? A big smile?

Was it odd that I felt a sudden connection with this stranger? As C.S. Lewis stated, "Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!"

Instead, I kept my mouth shut and wondered if he too feared birthday parties at the bowling alley:

Bowling shoes.
Other Eight Year Olds.
Tying.
Ugh, the stresses in a child's life.

Thank you, Velcro.

Life is about taking different approaches. What's next?

1 comment: