Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reason #38: Raw Revolution

The raw food craze seems to be spreading. Raw restaurants are springing up all over NYC, and I am hearing more and more people swearing by the benefits of eating “all raw.” Raw foods are closest to their natural state (ie: fruits, vegetables, nuts, sprouted seeds, juices), have higher nutrient content than cooked food, and are a powerful detoxifying agent that can cleanse the body of years of eating processed foods. If you think about it, aside from the leafy green salad, very few meals are eaten raw. Yet benefits from the diet include greater energy, clearer skin, better digestion, and weight loss. Many people are turning to raw food as an answer to their health problems. While I am intrigued about incorporating more raw foods into my diet, I am not ready to give up my oats, coffee, or cooking(it took me long enough to start!) However, I was delighted when I was sent three “Raw Revolution Bars” to sample.

Raw Revolution’s Story:
Alice Benedetto, a registered nurse and natural foods chef, developed a passion for preparing and eating raw foods. As an alternative snack to high sugar processed snacks, she started making raw snacks which her son and friends loved. So she developed a line or bars that contain the most natural, organic, and raw ingredients.

My Review
Raw Revolution are moist, highly nutritious, and taste great. Instead of using processed sugars, for sweetness the bars contain agave nectar. All bars are gluten free, vegan-friendly, wheat, corn, soy, trans-fat, cholesterol, and refined sugar free. I was given three 100 calorie (0.8oz) samples to try in three flavors: Spirulina and Cashew, Cashew and Agave Nectar, and Chocolate and Cashew. While the samples were small (think size of small post it), they were quite satisfying:

Chocolate and Cashew
Contains cashew, date, agave nectar, cocoa powder, amaranth, almond, and spouted flax

I started off this bar basically because it contains two of my favorite indulgences chocolate and cashews. Just as I anticipated it was delicious – rich with chocolate flavor and surprisingly moist.

Spirulina and Cashew
Contains cashews, date, agave nectar, almond, amaranth, spirulina, and sprouted flax

Once again, the bar was moist with a chewy texture. Upon opening the bar, there was actually a green liquid residue on the bar and left on the wrapper. However, it was still quite delicious. It tasted like a date and cashew bar to me with the benefits of spirulina. I have been wanting to try spirulina, the health world’s superfood, and this was the perfect opportunity.

Cashew and Agave Nectar
Cashew, Date, Agave Nectar, Almond, Amaranth, Sprouted Flax

The bar was nicely sweet and satisfying. I am most impressed by the freshness of these bars - this is the only brand I ever had with an oily film.

I was very pleased with the bars, and they are a great choice for raw foodies or those who want a healthy snack. To inquire more information on the bars or place an order go to Raw Indulgence's website. While the thought of only eating 100% raw, uncooked foods seems a bit extreme to me, I am now interested in finding out some new innovative ways to introduce healthful raw foods into my diet. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment