Sunday, March 8, 2009

Reason #13: Irish Blessing

This Saturday was the annual Hoboken St. Patrick’s Day celebration! With twenty Irish pubs in the mile-square town, and fifty other bars that help the Irish (or Irish wanna-bes) celebrate, the day is pretty insane! Anyway, the plan was to start the day at my girlfriend’s apartment with mimosas and breakfast, followed by one party after the other. Since my dietary intake for the day would consist of mimosas, Guinness, whiskey (eek), and more beer, I really wanted to come up with a festive, healthy contribution to the festivities. Perfect time to try a green smoothie!

Here is what I created:
Green Smoothie

1/2 cup of almond milk
1 Small banana
1/2 green apple
2 handfuls spinach
1/2 cucumber

I was so pleasantly surprised on how delicious and refreshing it tasted! While no one actually requested a glass full, I had a few taste tasters who enjoyed it as well. Im heading out to the supermarket today to fill up on some new produce to add - kale, ginger, and some sweet fruit!

Side Notes
* To all New Yorkers, take a second look at the food carts lining the sidewalks. Aside from pork dishes and hot dogs, certain carts are "fruit" bars where you can get deliciously blended fruit and vegetable shakes. In the summer, my sister and I frequented the cart on 48th between 5th and Madison almost everyday.


**To the runners following a training plan out there, I switched up my Saturday and Sunday workout plans given that Id be a little hungover/tired today. I ran my longer run, approximately 9-9.5 miles yesterday and plan to do a shorter run today. It is so beautiful out, Im thrilled to finally be running outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment